Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11: Remembering ten years later

As for almost all Americans, September 11th is still a clear image in my head. I can remember where I was (Mr. Binns 9th grade science class), what I was doing, and what I was wearing. I remember watching in horror the news all day, forcing myself to believe what I was seeing was real. Thinking about the attacks today still brings a chill to my skin and tears to my eyes.

One of the things that living abroad has taught me has been the way the rest of the world sees America in a post-9/11 world. I have learned that America and Americans are both adored and detested around the world. For the most part, Spanish people are welcoming and friendly but I still have had experiences that shake my sense of security as an expat. Just recently I was with friends in the metro when a man came up and told us that America was the worst country in the world and we were a country of killers. It was a frightening experience but one that reminds me of the changes in a post 9/11 world. Although it comes with many stereotypes both good and bad, I am proud of my country and its values. Today I remember all those who lost their lives on such a tragic and monumental day in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment