Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Mis Papis en España


At the rose garden in Retiro Park.

As I posted earlier, my parents came to visit me in Spain for about 2 weeks which was fantastic. They visited Madrid, Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada. It was awesome to show them around the places I have been in Spain and my life here. They arrived on Monday, tired but excited to finally be in Spain! After getting on the Metro to go into the center of the city to find their apartment. The apartment was in a really cute area and very close to my apartment which was great! They spent about 4 days in Madrid and did lots of things. While I was working during the mornings, they usually went to see on of the big museums like El Prado or the Reina Sofia. But since school ended at 1 pm, I usually was able to spend the afternoons with them. We went a walking tour of the city, visited the Royal Palace, Retiro Park and ate lots of delicious food! After getting to see the big sights in Madrid we took the train to Sevilla for the second week. I could only stay for the weekend and then my parents continued on to tour around Andalucia.

We arrived in Sevilla round mid-day on Saturday. It was warm but not too hot and we took a taxi to our apartment in Barrio Santa Cruz. The apartment was fabulous, right in the center of the city and our window overlooked the Alcazar gardens. What more could a girl ask for? We spent the first day walking around the city and Santa Cruz. My parents really liked the architecture and agreed that this is what Americans imagine when they think of Spain. It's really hard not to love Sevilla, it's so pretty! We went to my favorite tapas place Cafe Levies and then to La Carbonaria, a famous flamenco bar. After seeing a little bit of flamenco we decided to go see a show at a tablao. We also toured around the Real Alcazar, using our trusty Rick Steves guidebook hahaha. We had beautiful weather all weekend which was a plus. On Monday we bought some souvenirs and went to look at the ceramics. I went home to Madrid but my parents kept on traveling, going to visit Cordoba for a day and then Granada for 2 days. They really liked the mezquita in Cordoba and the Alhambra in Granada. The architecture is really different from central Spain in that it has a lot of Arabic influence. After a week in Andalucia, Mom and Dad came back for one last weekend in Madrid. We got some more delicous tapas, went to the Rastro flea market and ate churros con chocolate. After 2 great weeks, it was sad to say goodbye but I'm really glad to have had them here!!!

In front of El Oso y el Madrono (the symbol of Madrid)

No comments:

Post a Comment