Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Day in the Life

Since the first time I posted about my life at school I was in a hurry to finish because I was writing at school and our internet only works half the time. I didn't get to put very many details about my daily schedule. Soooooo here we go! I arrive at school everyday at 9:30 and before going to class I usually stop to talk to the other auxiliares. There are 3 other auxiliares at my school-Rachael, Rich, and Yazmyn. Rachael, Rich, and I are all only working at Andres Segovia but Yazmyn comes 2 days a week to our school and 2 days to another school. They are all really nice and it has been nice to have people to collaborate with on things like celebrating Halloween etc. At 9:30 I start my first class with the professor I spend the majority of my day with, Maria Jesus. She has been so welcoming to me and has offered to go out to coffee to practice Spanish as well as bring me books written in Spanish. She teaches both the fourth grade classes in English and Science so we begin the morning with either English class or science class (which is taught in English). I really like both of the classes, the kids are so sweet and eager to answer your questions. Many times I take one part of the class out into the hallway to work more one-on-one with the students. After class from 9:30 to 10:30, I have my second class with Maria Jesus from 10:30 to 11:30. At 11:30 we have a break, called Recreo, where the kids go out to the playground to play futbol and hang out with their friends. The teachers have a coffee break where coffee, tea, juice and snacks are served. Its awesome! After recreo, I either go back to Maria Jesus's class or to my 3rd grade class which I help teach with the headmistress Belen. She is so much fun to work with and the kids in that class are wonderful! I also help them with English and science class. Twice a week I also help teach 2 classes of 5 year olds. They are super cute but such a handful! Its really hard to get them to concentrate on anything. After a class from 12 to 1, we break for 2 hours for lunch. The first hour is free time/planning time for the teachers and I use it to check my email or read. At 2 lunch is served, I eat half the time at the school and half the time I bring my lunch from home because it is about 4 euros every day. At 3 I have another class either with Maria Jesus or Belen that lasts til 3:45 then my last class of the day is from 3:45 to 4:30. After lunch is the hardest time to teach because the kids are either really hyper from lunch or really tired. But I love all the kids at school and they very affecionate so they come up and give me hugs everyday which I love! After 4:30, I either walk to catch the train home or give private classes. I am still working with Isabel the 2 year old and also give classes to 2 kids from school on Friday afternoons. Working, giving classes, and now playing Ultimate definitely is keeping me busy but it is nice to have a schedule and things to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment