Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

Updates, orientation, and first day of school oh my!


Right now we do not have wifi in our apartment and we are working on getting it installed. Needlessy to say, I haven´t been able to update the blog recently. However, a lot has been happening here! This weekend I went to the Prado which was amazing because I took an art history class last semester. I did my final project on the works of Goya, a very famous Spanish painter, so it was fantastic to see the real thing. I also went to the festival for Madrid´s candidacy in the 2016 Olympics which was really cool. Every side of the festival had a different color piece of paper to hold up either blue, green, yellow, or red (we were in the green section). I saw in the paper yesterday the arial view and it was awesome so I decided to put it on my blog for you lovely readers. In other news I went to the orientation for my program on Monday and Tuesday of this week which was really helpful. They told us what our typical day would look like as a auxiliar de conversacion and some ideas of ways we can help the teachers. On Thursday it was my first day of school! Our coordinator Vanesa picked me and the 3 other auxiliares working at my school up from the train station. We then got a tour of the school and met each class so they would know who we are. Their faces when we walked in were priceless, they were all so excited to see Americans and native English speakers. We also go our schedules and I will be working with primarily 4th grade, some 3rd grade, and some with 5 year olds. I work Tuesday to Friday from 9:30 to 4:30 and I have Mondays off which is fabulous. Now 9:30 to 4:30 may seem like a long day but the Spanish loooooove their breaks. At 11:30 we get a half hour break for coffee and snacks with the other teachers. I think all schools should operate like this. Then from 1 to 3 we have a lunch break. They serve lunch at school and it is SO good. So far I have had the 5 year olds and 3rd grade and they were both really good. Spanish schools are a lot different from American schools in that the kids are really loud but I´m getting used to it. All the kids are super excited to have someone from a different county to be in class with them. The only hard part is that all the auxiliares have to pretend that we don´t speak any Spanish so the kids have to speak in English to us. It is hard to not let Spanish slip when I can understand everything they say. But they are convinced I don´t speak a lick of Spanish and that they are going to teach me some hahaha. I will update more after I have my first whole week of school next week. Hasta luego!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That picture is amazing! It's so awesome that you were there because my roommate and I were watching clips of it on the news! It's also hilarious that you're not allowed to speak to the kids in Spanish; maybe they'll gossip about you and you'll understand them haha.

    Ultimate updates: we played PCC at Wilmington last weekend and split the squad equally into X and Y teams. I was on the X team and we came in 2nd to UNCW! They were split into two teams too, but they had upper vs. lower classmen, so we lost to the upper classmen. It was CRAZY playing against other teams for the first time in almost a year :P Also, we got a whole long spiel about how we should all tryout for A team and I think most B team returners are going to (including me)! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome Michaela! I'm glad to hear that ultimate is going well and you guys are trying out for A team. Just make sure you win the parties too hahaha. I faith in you!

    ReplyDelete